There are currently around 1 billion active users on Instagram and Facebook and there are 336 million monthly active users worldwide on Twitter and the numbers are only rising.
Social media is here to stay and it’s important for hoteliers to grasp how to use it to their benefit and to make their hotel stand out.
Social media is arguably the most powerful tool when it comes to marketing your hotel. It can be used to cement your brand identity, reach potential new customers and get your name out there.
Here are a few tips from us:
Snap some fantastic imagery
A study by Microsoft Canada found that people’s attention span had fallen from 12 seconds in 2000 to just 8 seconds in 2017.
With this steady decrease and in this ‘scrolling’ digital world we live in, it’s more important than ever to grab potential guests’ attention with eye-catching and vibrant images.
- Having a smartphone with a good quality camera means that hoteliers can snap images for social media at any opportunity – whether it be a photo of a beautiful sunset or a video of the Christmas tree going up.
- Instagram stories can be a great way to convey day-to-day goings-on and Instagram posts are a fantastic medium to showcase beautiful images of the hotel’s interior and exterior.
- However, it’s worthwhile investing in a good photographer to capture the true essence of your hotel. Plan the photoshoots well with the ‘scrollers’’ view in mind and get new images taken each season to stay current.
Command a following
Building a following can be hard but it’s important – having a large following is a glowing review in itself.
- Consider holding a competition with the prize of a night away for two in return for following your page and sharing the post. Yes, you’ve given a room away for free, but your follower number will go up as a result which will in turn boost bookings.
- Ensure you engage with your followers. If they post a photo of your hotel, like and comment on it. If they Tweet you a query, answer it instantly. This sort of engagement makes you much more appealing as a hotel and will not only generate repeat business but will turn followers into future guests.
Develop interesting blog content
Gone are the days when simply advertising your services was enough. The internet is loud with companies from different industries voicing their opinions on various topics from all angles.
It’s important for hotels to have their voice heard and having a consistently updated news or blog section on your hotel’s website can help cement your hotels personality. Every hotel has a story to tell and it’s a great place to shout about what makes you unique.
- As a hotelier, posting interesting content can make you stand out as an expert in your field. A good idea is to react to industry news, offering your own commentary sets you apart and demonstrates your hotel to be current and up to date with trends.
- As with social media posts don’t be stiff with your tone – be entertaining and amusing in your approach to your blogs. Be chatty and break up the structure with subheadings.
- Ensure you link to your blog though your social channels to drive new potential guests to your website. Blog content can really boost your search engine optimisation (SEO) so be sure to include your key words.
The best part of all this? Social media is free.
Whether you’re the owner of a small boutique B&B or managing a large hotel with a spa and golf course – you can command the reins of your social media channels and watch your bookings soar!